We invite new & existing students to join us:
20-31 May 2018
Heaven & Earth Qi Gong: Unifying the Pulse
5-day or 11-day retreat option
26-31 May 2018
Yang Style Tai Chi: Developing the Energies of Peng, Ji, Lu & An
Learn/Deepen the First Section of the Long Form
2-11 September 2018
Dragon & Tiger Medical Qi Gong: Level 3 Energetics
New students will learn the 7-movement set and essential energetics
Paul’s retreats are designed to offer a beginning “fundamentals” & more advanced “nei gong” level of training, so new & existing students are always welcome!
The “White Village” of Gaucín
The picturesque mountain village of Gaucín is nestled 600 metres above sea level in beautiful Andalucía. Marked by a 12th century Moorish castle with sunny days and breathtaking views towards the Mediterranean Sea, Spanish Sierra Nevada, Gibraltar and the Rif Mountains of North Africa, visitors will enjoy a perfect blend of local flavour and historic attractions in an awe-inspiring natural setting.
La Posada Romana is a private estate and finca 2 km from the White Village of Gaucín. Set amongst 7 acres of national parkland with mature trees and some of the most stunning views to be had from atop the mountain, it’s the natural and nurturing home of our seasonal retreats.
We offer onsite accommodation at La Posada Romana and carefully selected recommended links to book village accommodation directly with owners/agents. Browse accommodation >>
Paul highly recommends staying onsite for retreats whenever possible. For those who prefer the village scene, be sure to book accommodation in Gaucín–unless you hire a car and don’t mind driving on mountain roads. It is not necessary to hire a car as apartments, houses, hotels, markets, restaurants, class-time shuttle stops and local attractions are all within a 5-15 minute walk of one another in the village itself.
Free Shuttle Service for Travel between the Finca & Village
If you prefer to stay offsite in the village during retreats, we offer a free shuttle service to/from the finca for training sessions. The ride down is only 2 km and the meeting place is at La Cruz Bar across the street from La Tienda Verde, theorganic market. Download a map of Gaucin.
Onsite guests: A free shuttle service is available at lunchtime for those who would like to dine out, shop or sightsee in the village. See individual retreat webpages for the village shuttle schedule.
All village markets are closed for the daily siesta (14:00-17:00) and on Sundays. Most resturants are open near daily, stay open for lunch until 15:00 and open for dinner at 20:00.
Malaga Airport (AGP) Rideshare
We facilitate bookings for rideshare via EcoTaxi to keep Malaga Airport transfer costs to a minimum. Rideshare taxis depart. See individual retreat webpages for the schedule.
If you prefer to book your own taxi/rideshare via EcoTaxi, you can do so in English at http://ecotaxitransfersmalaga.com/en/home.php. Onsite guests: Please take into consideration the check-in/check-out schedule and make arrangements accordingly. We cannot permit early arrival or late departure.
Malaga Airport (AGP) – recommended
- Airlines that fly to AGP
- Malaga Airport info
- Car hire – Scroll down to see the listing of car hire options. Select a company under the list of “Firms in Terminal Buildings” for the most convenient options (although they may cost more)
- Bus – you can take the bus to Estepona and taxi up the mountain from there
- Train – We do not advise taking the train between Ronda and Gaucin as “Estacion de Gaucin” is 15 minutes away by car (no taxi queues, so you must arrange a taxi ahead)!
Gibraltar Airport (GIB) – not recommend unless you speak some Spanish, and plan to hire a car or taxi. Taxi service to Gaucin is limited and runs ~150 € per journey. We can assist in arranging rideshare from Malaga Airport (AGP), but do not offer this service from Gibraltar.
- Gibraltar Airport info
- Taxi info
- Taxi La Linea – +34 956 17 48 00/+34 956 17 47 firstname.lastname@example.org (Spanish only)
- Car hire
Proximity to & Important Places
Download a map of Gaucin >>
- Malaga Airport – 100 km
- Gibraltar Airport – 58 km
- Nearest beaches – 28 km
- Historic Ronda – 37 km
- Restaurants in the village – ~10, mainly serving Spanish tapas
- Markets – A few
- Organic market – La Tienda Verde is conveniently located, offering a wide range of ethical food and products. We’re happy to pre-order organic produce boxes to have ready for your arrival during retreats!
Tourism & Local Attractions
- Visit the Gaucin website in English – http://www.gaucin.com/en/
- Eagle Castle – 12th century castle built by the Moors located in the heart of Gaucín
- Ronda – 5th century city 37 km away with breathtaking views, architecture, shopping, bars, restaurants and more
- Beaches – five beaches 30-50 km from Gaucín
- Gibraltar – 60 km from Gaucín
- Pueblos Blancos – a few dozen mountain “white villages” of which Gaucín is one
- Sierra de Grazalema Natural Park – 35-65 km
- Estepona/Costa del Sol – 50 km
- Cádiz – the oldest city in Europe is 140 km away
Weather on the Mountain
Throughout the year, Gaucín often benefits from a cool evening breeze. Average temperatures in Celsius/Fahrenheit:
- January -16 / 61 degrees
- February – 18 / 65 degrees
- March – 20 / 68 degrees
- April – 22 / 72 degrees
- May – 25 / 77 degrees
- June – 29 / 84 degrees
- July & August – 33 / 91 degrees
- September – 30 / 86 degrees
- October – 25 / 77 degrees
- November – 20 / 68 degrees
- December – 17 / 63 degrees